We know you’re busy creators who want to make money on YouTube. Let’s get right to the point. If you’re a YouTube content creator who uses ads to monetize your videos, you might have probably heard several discussions about YT monetization rules.Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
We’ll start from common problems with YouTube Monetization, then move on to YouTube monetization rules/YouTube monetization policy, and YouTube algorithm rules. Finally, we will look at YouTube alternatives for creators, videographers, and musicians.
Without further ado, let’s get started!
YouTube Monetization Issues
It’s time to troubleshoot video monetization!
Getting accepted into the YPP is a game-changing moment for every content creator. The YPP provides access to the Copyright Match Tool, email and chats support, and the ability to begin monetizing content.
If you’ve uploaded a video for monetization but aren’t seeing ads on it (YouTube monetization issues with ads), there could be a problem. Use the information below to determine what may be causing issues. Before you proceed troubleshooting, ensure that your channel is eligible for monetization.
The following types of videos are ineligible for ad monetization:
- Videos that do not adhere to monetization policies
- Videos comprising third-party claims
- Videos marked as private
Also, ensure that the video has the right settings and adheres to the following guidelines:
Check that your video has the following settings:
- Check that your video’s ad formats are enabled.
- Make sure your video settings are public rather than private or unlisted.
- If you have disabled ads in your Account Settings, it will appear on any of your videos.
Check that your video meets the following guidelines:
- The video’s content is advertiser-friendly.
Still, having problems? Try these steps:
- If you have enabled ad-blocking software or browser add-ons and extensions enabled, you will not see ads on your video. So, ensure that you have disabled the software or extension.
- Ads may or may not seem on every video view. You can also find your earnings in YouTube Analytics to see if ads were shown on specific videos.
- Visit the monetization icon guide to learn more about video monetization status.
YouTube Monetization: How Does it Work?
YouTube users who are members of the YouTube Partner Program have access to one of these multiple monetization options.
# Ad Revenue
Ad Revenue is a pretty simple method of monetizing YouTube.
Any time during the video, advertisements created by companies in the Google Adsense Network will play. For each person who sees the complete advertisement, you receive payment.
Your channel’s advertisements bring in money for you (display, overlay, video ads, and bumper ads).
Who is eligible to apply?
Partners on YouTube who adhere to advertiser-friendly content guidelines. The guidelines include certain content in channels that are deemed unsuitable for advertising.
# Channel Memberships
You can offer your subscribers a membership for exclusive content, badges, or custom perks.
You should have more than 30,000 subscribers to apply for the membership monetization option.
In any case, do you want to know the tips to create own membership channel? If so, continue reading to know more!
# Merchandise Shelf
You have the option to sell official branded merchandise displayed on your watch pages. This type of monetization is ideal for YouTubers who have a strong brand. This monetization method is used by gamers, activists, and influencers.
To apply for this monetization option, you must have more than 10,000 subscribers.
# YouTube Premium Revenue
When a YouTube Premium subscriber watches content, some creators can earn a portion of the subscription fee. This rewards content creators who produce high-quality content. If this content attracts premium users, YouTube will compensate you.
To apply for this monetization option, you must create outstanding content that entices premium users.
YouTube Monetization Rules
Adherence to the YouTube monetization guidelines, which include the Community Guidelines, Terms of Service, and Google AdSense program policies, is a must for YPP eligibility. These policies apply to the entire channel of the creator, not just individual videos.
If you want to monetize your videos with advertisements, you must follow Advertiser-friendly content guidelines.
Each major policy is summarized below. Make sure you thoroughly read each policy, as these policies are used to determine whether a channel is suitable for monetization or not.
Since reviewers cannot watch every video on your channel, they may focus on the following:
- Main theme
- Most viewed videos
- Newest videos
- Watch hours
- Video metadata
The above are just a few types of content that reviewers may assess.
Anyone who earns money on YouTube must adhere to the channel monetization policies of YouTube. If you violate any of the policies, YouTube may take the following actions:
- Disable Ads from your content
- Suspend your participation in the YPP
- Suspend/terminate your channel
How does YouTube Algorithm work?
Want to know the impact on YouTube algorithm? Here’s how YouTube algorithm works.
The YouTube algorithm selects videos for users with two primary goals in mind: to find the best video for each user and to keep them watching.
When we refer to “the algorithm,” we choose:
- One that ranks search results; and
- One that selects recommended videos for viewers to watch next.
Each source of traffic is slightly different. However, what ultimately influences your video’s view count is a combination of:
- External factors
What Are the Most Serious Problems With YouTube Monetization?
Want to know how to avoid Demonetization in your videos? Demonetization of content is common and simple. As previously stated, depending on the topic, YouTube may demonetize some content automatically.
- Configuration of ad campaigns
YouTube’s ad monetization tool for creators provides little control over campaigns.
- Multiple strikes
You may lose the ability to monetize your videos on all related accounts if you receive multiple Community Guidelines strikes, copyright strikes, and/or worldwide Content ID blocks.
- Invalid Click Activity
Monetization will get temporarily suspended for 30 days for partners who violate Google’s AdSense program policies, such as invalid click activity.
- Lack of Revenue
YouTube accounts for 45% of advertising monetization revenue. This percentage is non-negotiable unless you are a large YouTube partner or a huge YouTuber.
- Lack of Knowledge about monetization rules
As we all know, the algorithm for highlighting content is changing constantly, and no one truly understands how it works. The same applies to the monetization rules.
7 Best Alternatives to YouTube
So, what is the alternate platform to YouTube? Here’s the list:
GUDSHO is a premium video monetization platform that enables content creators, filmmakers, and distributors to release and monetize their content through a wide range of revenue-generating options, such as TVOD, AVOD, and SVOD.
GUDSHO’s ‘Adaptive Bitrate Streaming’ concept allows video consumers to stream videos without buffering.
- Access Control
- Customizable Branding
- Graphics & Titles
- Streaming Production
- Video Monetization Tools
- Poor Network can have an impact on your viewing experience.
Pricing: Freemium, Subscription
Patreon is a completely unique crowdfunding platform that allows content creators to earn money from their fans by offering subscriptions.
- Patreon’s post-money valuation is $4 billion.
- Patreon creators have made an estimated $2 billion.
- Multiple plan tiers
- Pro communication and analytics tools
- Pro templates to get you started quickly
- Low payouts for most users
- High fees on some plans
Buy Me a Coffee
Buy Me a Coffee is a simple way to support your creative work. You don’t need to use several apps to accept donations and memberships. It allows you to develop a direct relationship with your fans.
- A Zoom template can be used to host live events.
- iOS/Android app available
- Users can donate without creating an account
- Less cost-effective
Ko-fi is a user-friendly platform that allows content creators to collect donations and earn money from their fans.
- Creators can earn money doing what they love with Ko-fi.
- No fees
- Some features are not free
- Lesser known
Creators can use the platform to sell podcasts, newsletters, courses, and other products. It is set up as a simple plug-in into the WordPress site, with integration possible for other sites such as Mailchimp to keep track of subscribers.
- Creators have numerous options for pricing their digital products, ranging from multi-tiered subscriptions to one-time payments.
- Provides a free plan with numerous advanced features.
- Best for low-cost software.
- Lack of advanced features compared to other solutions.
- The Split-Test feature has been rated 46% lower than the industry average.
Pricing: Freemium, Subscription
The most user-friendly, transparent, and advanced platform for generating long-term revenue and connecting with your audience and fans.
- With Subscribe Star, you can integrate with other platforms such as Google Analytics and Discord, and link your own apps to the platform.
- The platform is known as an alt-right platform due to its “free speech” model.
- Payment can only be withdrawn every two weeks.
Kickstarter is an age-old fundraising platform, and it may sound a little different from the others on the list, not because of the “age-old” part, but simply because of the “fundraising” part.
- Creators can seek funding on the Kickstarter website as well as its app for a wider audience.
- Easy setup
- Nice promotional tools
- No memberships or recurring revenue
Recommended Reading: ☞ Best Revenue Model For OTT Platforms
The Bottom Line
YouTube is no longer the be-all and end-all of online video in 2022. Although it is the most popular video hosting and sharing platform, it is not the only option for you or your business.
There are numerous options to choose from. Once you scan the market, you will find significant players for video sharing and growing a social media presence. So it’s your turn to select the best!